JAY — Selectmen and Budget Committee members will begin reviewing a proposed $6.2 million municipal budget for 2011-12 on Thursday.

The draft budget reflects an increase of $27,552.32 over the current budget of $6.18 million.

However, due to $421,345 less estimated in anticipated revenue, the net budget is proposed at $3.89 million compared to the current $3.44 million net budget this year.

A good part of the lower income is because landfill revenues will be way down since the town is not taking items from the towns of Livermore Falls and Wilton, Town Manager Ruth Cushman said Wednesday. Those two towns are using alternate options to get rid of trash and recyclables.

In addition, Cushman said, state revenue sharing is down.

She said she anticipates some budget requests may be changed during the budget process, including donation requests.

Advertisement

Also included in the budget this year is $258,108 proposed to pay off an unfunded liability owed to Maine State Retirement System. It has been an unfunded town liability since July 1, 1994.

Budget review begins at 5:45 p.m., Thursday, March 24, at the Jay High School library with $46,737 requested in donations.

In the current budget, donation requests were funded at $25,530. There also may be some budget items, including insurance, summer recreation, hydrants, ambulance and revenues, taken up if there is time.

The summer recreation budget is proposed at $12,000, $4,000 less than the current budget. The difference is in the proposed budget the town will not provide transportation for children. The Jay and Livermore Falls summer recreation programs merged last year with the program being held in Livermore Falls.

The bulk of the budget will be reviewed at 5 p.m. on Monday, March 28, at the high school library.

Budgets that propose an increase include town government, $547,765 compared to $529,265 this year; Police Department, $804,725 compared to $784,218 in the current year; and the Highway Department at $1.43 million compared to $1.37 million this year.

Advertisement

Budgets showing decreases include solid waste disposal proposed at $799,200, compared to a current budget of $1.37 million. Several changes have been made in this area, including the town going to single-sort recycling.

If the budget is not finalized Monday, then there is a tentative third meeting scheduled for 6 p.m., Tuesday, March 29, at the high school library.

A public hearing on all warrant articles is scheduled for 6 p.m. Monday, May 2, at the high school library. Absentee ballots will be available on Friday, May 13, and the town meeting will be held on June 14.

dperry@sunjournal.com

filed under: